*Past 5 years and featured articles. For a full list of our publications see my Google Scholar page.
(81) Grutter, AS, Feeney, WE, Hutson, KS, McClure, EC, Narvaez, P, Smit, NJ, Sun, D, Sikkel, PC (In Press) Gnathia aureamaculosa and G. marleyi. In: Sitjà Bobadilla, A, Bron, JE, Wiegerties, G, Piazzon, MC (eds.) Fish Parasites: A Handbook of Protocols for Their Isolation, Culture and Transmission. 5m Publishing, Sheffield, United Kingdom.
(80) Halliday-Isaac, AK, Robinson, JB, Cruz-Rivera, E, Campbell, AG, Sikkel, PC (2021) Environmental correlates of prevalence of intraerythrocytic apicomplexan infecting Caribbean damselfish. Parasitologia. 1:69-82.
(79) Paula, JR, Sun, D, Pissarra, V, Narvaez, P, Rosa, R, Grutter, AS, Sikkel, PC (2021) The role of corals on the abundance of a fish ectoparasite in the Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs.
(78) Alkhafaji, AA, Selim, OM, Amano, RS, Strickler, JR, Jiang, H, Sikkel, PC, Hinow, P, Kohls, ND (2021) Mass transfer performance of a marine zooplankton olfactometer. Journal of Energy Resources Technology. 1-26.
(77) Jenkins, WG, Demopoulos, AWJ, Nicholson, MD, Sikkel, PC (2020) Stable isotope dynamics of herbivorous reef fishes and their ectoparasites. Diversity. 12:429.
(76) Artim, J, Brandt, M, Smith, TJ, Nicholson, MD, Hendrick, GC, Sikkel, PC (2020) Abundance of a cryptic generalist parasite reflects degradation of an ecosystem. Ecosphere. 11:e03268.
(75) Nicholson, MD, Hendrick, GC, Packard, AJ, Strobel, DL, Vondriska, C, Sikkel, PC (2020) Vertical limits of host infestation by gnathiid isopods (Isopoda: Gnathiidae) parasitic on Caribbean coral reef fishes. Journal of Crustacean Biology.
(74) Shodipo, MO, Duong, B, Graba-Landry, A, Grutter, AS, Sikkel, PC (2020) Effect of acute seawater temperature increase on the survival of a fish ectoparasite. Oceans. 1:215-236.
(73) Allan, BJM, Illing, B, Fakan, EP, Narvaez, P, Grutter, AS, Sikkel, PC, McClure EC, Rummer, JL, McCormick, MI (2020) Parasite infection directly impacts escape response and stress levels in fish. Journal of Experimental Biology. 223:jeb230904.
(72) Vondriska, C, Dixson, DL, Packard, AJ, Sikkel, PC (2020) Differentially susceptible host fishes exhibit similar chemo-attractivness to a common coral reef ectoparasite. Symbiosis. 81:247-253.
(71) Xavier, R, Pereira, A, Pagan, A, Hendrick, GC, Nicholson, MD, Rosado, D, Soares, MC, Pérez-Losada, M, Sikkel, PC (2020) The effects of environment and ontogeny on the skin microbiome of two Stegastes damselfishes (Pomacentridae) from the eastern Caribbean Sea. Marine Biology. 167:102.
(70) Grutter, AS, Feeney, WE, Kutson, KS, McClure, EC, Narvaez, P, Smit, NJ, Sun, D, Sikkel, PC (2020) Practical methods for culturing parasitic gnathiid isopods. International Journal for Parasitology.
(69) Pagán, JA, Veríssimo, A, Sikkel, PC, Xavier, R (2020) Hurricane-induced disturbance increases genetic diversity of population admixture of the direct-brooding isopod, Gnathia marleyi. Scientific Reports. 10:8649.
(68) Sikkel, PC, Pagán, JA, Santos, JL, Hendrick, GC, Nicholson, MD, Xavier, R (2020) Molecular detection of apicomplexan blood parasites of coral reef fishes from free-living stages of ectoparasitic gnathiid isopods. Parasitology Research. 119:1975-1980.
(67) Hendrick, GC, Dolan, MC, McKay, T, Sikkel, PC (2019) Host DNA integrity within blood meals of hematophagous larval gnathiid isopods (Crustacea, Isopoda, Gnathiidae). Parasites & Vectors. 12:316.
(66) Nicholson, MD, Artim, JD, Hendrick, GC, Packard, AJ, Sikkel, PC (2019) Fish-parasitic gnathiid isopods metamorphose following invertebrate-derived meal. Journal of Parasitology. 105:793-797.
(65) Sikkel, PC, Richardson, MA, Sun, D, Narvaez, WE, Grutter, AS (2019) Changes in abundance of fish-parasitic gnathiid isopods associated with warm-water bleaching events on the northern Great Barrier Reef. Coral Reefs. 38:721-730.
(64) Grutter, AS, Blomberg, SP, Box, S, Bshary, R, Ho, O, Madin, EMP, McClure, EC, Meekan, MG, Murphy, JM, Richardson, MA, Sikkel, PC (2019) Changes in local free-living parasite population in response to cleaner manipulation over 12 years. Oecologia. 190:783-797.
(63) Shodipo, MO, Gomez, RDC, Welicky, RL, Sikkel, PC (2019) Apparent kleptoparasitism in fish-parasitic gnathiid isopods. Parasitology Research. 118:653-655.
(62) Sellers, JC, Holstein, DM, Botha, TL, Sikkel, PC (2019) Lethal and sublethal impacts of a micropredator on post-settlement Caribbean reef fishes. Oecologia. 189:293-305.
(61) Santos, TRN, Sikkel, PC (2019) Habitat associations of fish-parasitic gnathiid isopods in a shallow reef system in the central Philippines. Marine Biodiversity. 49:83-89.
(60) Sikkel, PC, Welicky, RL (2019) The ecological significance of parasitic crustaceans. (Eds.) Smit, NJ, Bruce, NL, Hadfield. Parasitic Crustacea. pp 421-477.
(59) Welicky, RL, Ferreira, ML, Sikkel, PC, Smit, NJ (2018) Diurnal activity patterns of the temporary fish ectoparasite, Gnathia africana Barnard, 1914 (Isopoda, Gnathiidae), from the southern coast of South Africa. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom. 98:1715-1723.
(58) Nicholson, MD, Sikkel, PC (2018) Localized defecation in territorial herbivorous fishes. Copeia. 106:532-538.
(57) Jenkins, WG, Demopoulos, AWJ, Sikkel, PC (2018) Host feeding ecology and trophic position significantly influence isotopic discrimination between a generalist ectoparasite and its hosts: Implications for parasite-host trophic studies. Food Webs. 16:e00092.
(56) Sikkel, PC, Cook, CA, Renoux, LP, Bennett, CL, Tuttle, LJ, Smit, NJ (2018) The distribution and host-association of a haemoparasite of damselfishes (Pomacentridae) from the eastern Caribbean based on a combination of morphology and 18S rDNA sequences. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife. 7:213-220.
(55) Welicky, RL, Parkyn, DC, Sikkel, PC (2018) Host-dependent differences in measures of condition associated with Anilocra spp. parasitism in two coral reef fishes. Environmental Biology of Fishes. 101:1223-1234.
(54) Jenkins, WG, Demopoulos, AWJ, Sikkel, PC (2018) Effects of host injury on susceptibility of marine reef fishes to ectoparasitic gnathiid isopods. Symbiosis. 75:113-121.
(53) Grutter, AS, De Brauwer, M, Bshary, R, Cheney, KL, Cribb, TH, Madin, EMP, McClure, EC, Meekan, MG, Sun, D, Warner, RR, Werminghausen, J, Sikkel, PC (2018) Parasite infestation increases on coral reefs without cleaner fish. Coral Reefs. 37:15-24.
(52) Sikkel, PC, Smit, NJ (2018) Intraspecific cleaning by juvenile Cape white seabream Diplodus capensis (Sparidae) off eastern South Africa. African Journal of Marine Science. 40:97-99.
(51) Artim, JM, Hook, A, Grippo, RS, Sikkel, PC (2017) Predation on parasitic gnathiid isopods on coral reefs: A comparison of Caribbean cleaning gobies with non-cleaning microcarnivores. Coral Reefs. 36:1213-1223.
(50) Renoux, LP, Dolan, MC, Cook, CA, Smit, NJ, Sikkel, PC (2017) Developing an apicomplexan DNA barcoding system to detect blood parasites of small coral reef fishes. Journal of Parasitology. 103:366-376.
(49) Welicky, RL, Demopoulos, AWJ, Sikkel, PC (2017) Host-dependent drifferences in resource use associated with Anilocra spp. parasitism in two coral reef fishes, as revealed by stable carbon and nitrogen isotope analyses. Marine Ecology. 38:e12413.
(48) Sikkel, PC, Welicky, RL, Artim, JM, McCammon, AM, Sellers, JC, Coile, AM, Jenkins, WG (2017) Nocturnal migration reduces exposure to micropredation in a coral reef fish. Bulletin of Marine Science. 93:475-489.
(47) Tuttle, LJ, Sikkel, PC, Cure, K, Hixon, MA (2017) Parasite-mediated enemy release and low biotic resistance may facilitate invasion of Atlantic coral reefs by Pacific red lionfish (Pterois volitans). Biological Invasions. 19:563-575.
(46) Welicky, RL, Hadfield, KA, Sikkel, PC, Smit, NJ (2017) Molecular assessment of three species of Anilocra (Isopoda, Cymathoidae) ectoparasites from Caribbean coral reef fishes, with the description of Anilocra brillae sp. n. ZooKeys. 663:21.
(45) Sears, WT, Sikkel, PC (2016) Field observation of predation on an adult Caribbean purplemouth moray eel by a nurse shark. Coral Reefs. 35:971.
(44) Artim, JM, Sikkel, PC (2016) Comparison of sampling methodologies and estimation of population parameters for a temporary fish ectoparasite. International Journal for Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife 5: 145-157.
(43) Artim, JM, Sellers, JC, Sikkel, PC (2015) Micropredation by gnathiid isopods on settlement-stage larval reef fish in the Eastern Caribbean Sea. Bulletin of Marine Science. 91: 479-487. Feature Article
(42) Welicky, RL, Sikkel, PC (2015) Decreased movement related to parasite infection in a diel migratory coral reef fish. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. 69:1437-1446.
(41) Artim, JM, Sellers, JC, Sikkel, PC (2015) Micropredation by gnathiid isopods on settlement-stage larval reef fish in the Eastern Caribbean Sea. Bulletin of Marine Science. 91:479-487. Feature Article
(40) Cook, CA, Sikkel, PC, Renoux, LP, Smit, NJ (2015) Blood parasite biodiversity of reef-associated fishes of the eastern Caribbean. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 533:1-13. Feature Article
(39) Loerch, SM, McCammon, AM, Sikkel, PC (2015) Experimental evidence of low susceptibility of invasive red lionfish (Pterois volitans) to a common Caribbean ectoparasite. Environmetnal Biology of Fishes. 98:1979-1986.
(38) Demopoulos, AWJ, Sikkel, PC (2015) Enhanced understanding of ectoparasite-host trophic linkages on coral reefs through stable isotope analysis. International Journal of Parasitology: Parasites and Wildlife. 4:125-34.
(37) Ascherl, Z, Williams, EH, Williams, LB, Tuttle, LJ, Sikkel, PC, Hixon, MA (2015) Parasitism in Pterois volitans (Scorpaenidae) from coastal waters from Puerto Rico, the Cayman Islands and the Bahamas. Journal of Parasitology. 101:50-56.
(36) Welicky, RM, Sikkel, PC (2014) Prevalence of the cymothoid parasite Anilocra haemuli on its French grunt host in the eastern Caribbean. Marine and Freshwater Research. 65:1018-1026. Feature Article
(19) Sikkel, PC, Herzlieb, SE, Kramer, DL (2005) Compensatory cleaner-seeking behavior following spawning in female yellowtail damselfish. Marine Ecology Progress Series. 296:1-11. Feature Article