University of Miami, 2018 – Present
Dissertation: Identification of Caribbean gnathiid isopod fish hosts and factors affecting gnathiid growth and host immune response.
Bio: Gina completed her Master’s in Biology at Arkansas State University. For her thesis she developed molecular methods to identify fish hosts of gnathiid isopods from DNA within their blood meals, as well as determined the integrity of host DNA at various time intervals post-feeding. Her current research deals with host identification of Caribbean gnathiid isopods, effects of host species on gnathiid growth, and the immune response of gnathiid isopod fish hosts.
(6) Artim, JM, Nicholson, MD, Hendrick, GC, Brandt, M, Smith, T, Sikkel, PC (In Press) Abundance of a cryptic generalist parasite reflects degradation of an ecosystem. Ecosphere.
(5) Nicholson, MD, Hendrick, GC, Packard, AJ, Strobel, DL, Vondriska, C, Sikkel, PC (2020) Vertical limits of host exploitation by fish-parasitic gnathiid isopods on Caribbean coral reefs. Journal of Crustacean Biology.
(4) Xavier, R, Pereira, A, Pagán, A, Hendrick, GC, Nicholson, MD, Rosado, D, Soares, MC, Perez-Losada, M, Sikkel, PC (2020) The effects of environment and ontogeny on the skin microbiome of two Stegastes damselfishes (Pomacentridae) from eastern Caribbean Sea. Marine Biology. 167:102.
(3) Sikkel, PC, Pagán, JA, Santos, JL, Hendrick, GC, Nicholson, MD, Xavier, R (2020) Molecular detection of apicomplexan blood parasites of coral reef fishes from free-living stages of ectoparasitic gnathiid isopods. Parasitology Research. 119:1975-1980.
(2) Nicholson, MD, Artim, JD, Hendrick, GC, Packard, AJ, Sikkel, PC (2019) Fish-parasitic gnathiid isopods metamorphose following invertebrate-derived meal. Journal of Parasitology. 105:793-797.
(1) Hendrick, GC, Dolan, MC, McKay, T, Sikkel, PC (2019) Host DNA integrity within blood meals of hematophagous larval gnathiid isopods (Crustacea, Isopoda, Gnathiidae). Parasites & Vectors. 12:316.