University of Porto (co-advised w/ Dr. Miguel Carneiro), 2019 – Present
Dissertation: The colour of cooperation: Linking colour polymorphism to mutualistic behaviour in the Caribbean shaknose goby (Elacatinus evelynae)
Bio: Cristiana completed her Masters in Biodiversity, Genetics and Evolution at CIBIO-InBIO in 2017. For her thesis, she investigated the genetic mechanisms underlying plumage color variation in Gouldian finches by applying cutting-edge genomic tools. Although her main research sets on understanding the mechanisms leading to and shaping phenotypic diversity with especial interest on behavioral phenotypes and coloration, she’s been involved in other projects on bird ecology and behavior. Her research skills span different branches in science including bird ringing, behavioral experimentation, and NGS data analysis.
(6) de Abreu, MS, Maximino, C, Cardoso, S, Marques, CI, Pimentel, AFM, Mece, E, Winberg, S, Baarcellos, LJG, Soares, M (2020) Dopamine and serotonin mediate the impact of stress on cleaner fish cooperative behavior. Hormones and Behavior. 125:104813.
(5) Gazda, MA, Araújo, P, Lopes, RJ, Toomey, MB, Andrade, P, Afonso, S, Marques, CI, Nunes, L, Pereira, P, Trigo, S, Hill, GE, Corbo, JC, Carneiro, M (2020) A genetic mechanism for sexual dichromatism in birds. Science. 368.
(4) Gomes, ACR, Guerra, S, Silva, PA, Marques, CI, Trigo, S, Boogert, NJ, Cardoso, G (2020) Proactive common waxbills make fewer mistakes in a cognitive assay, the detour reaching task. Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology. 74.
(3) Silva, PA, Trigo, S, Marques, CI, Cardoso, G, Soares, M (2020) Experimental evidence for a role of dopamine on avian personality traits. Journal of Experimental Biology. 223:jeb.216499.
(2) Toomey, MB, Marques, CI, Andrade, P, Araújo, P, Sabatino, S, Gazda, MA, Afonso, S, Lopes, RJ, Corbo, JC, Carneiro, M (2018) A non-coding region near Follistatin controls head colour polymorphism in the Gouldian finch. Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences. 285:20181788.
(1) Marques, CI, Batalha, H, Cardoso, G (2016) Signalling with a cryptic train: The regularity of barred plumage in common waxbills. Royal Society Open Science. 3:160195.